davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I can throw my weight behind this statement. I'm one of those heavier riders (270s right now, lowest I've been in forever was high 250s, heading back that direction right now), and I ride the Compass Stampede Pass 32mm tires. I run 90psi (listed max) on the rear and 80psi on the front. Not all of the roads that I ride are terrible surface quality, but some definitely are, and a couple stretches are downright awful with many large cracks in the road surface of over an inch width. When I got a road bike again around 9 years ago it had 23mm tires on it, and I almost immediately switched to 25mm and noticed a big difference in comfort. Went to 28mm on the rear but the front couldn't fit it (depending on the tire, and even ones that fit were just squeaking by). With my new bike a couple years ago (Lynskey R260) it'll fit not only these 32mm tires, but would fit larger if I wanted. I've considered giving 34mm a go, but these 32mm Compass tires are just a pleasure to ride on. There are stretches of road where the surface was so bad on the 25/28 combo I still had to slow down somewhat, where I can go full speed on the 32mm tires. I imagine the 34mm would just make the truly bad stretches of road that much more pleasurable to ride.

ps: I tried an experiment for a couple weeks where instead of topping off the tire pressure before each ride, I let it naturally deflate by that couple psi or so per day to see what the rides would feel like at progressively lower pressure. Based on the last time I'd checked the pressure one day I went out on a ride with an estimated 75psi or so in the rear (and less in front) and got a snake-bite flat hitting some bump in the road (think it was a big dip in the road surface around a manhole cover), with the tire going flat seconds later as I made a sharp turn and came the closest to totally eating it that I've ever gotten while actually recovering and not crashing. So for me, almost certainly due to the weight, using that 90psi max pressure for the Stampede Pass 32mm tire is non-negotiable. That's still much less than the 120psi or so I road on my 25s, and it feels much nicer.
^ Great example of why narrow tires are not only uncomfortable and inefficient but can be dangerous.