View Single Post
Old 09-30-19, 01:16 PM
Txthroop 

Bikes: Trek 930, Redline Conquest, Surly LHT, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is great information and exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. Thanks for all your comments!

I really don't expect to remove the rear wheel very often so I don't think the process will bother me too much. Knowing to drop the chain off the chain rings will help a lot.

The comments about the dropouts and the axle sizes are interesting. I'll probably order a complete bike so I'll be stuck with what Surly has told me is a 141mm QR hub. It sounds like as long as I am happy with that wheel sunk to the end of the slot then I won't have any trouble with alignment. If I want to move the wheel farther back, sounds like I'll need some sort of spacer or Tugnutts to keep it in place. This all makes sense to me. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about the dropouts.

Now, however, you all have made me curious about internal gear hubs since they seems to be so common with this bike. Do you keep the 3x set up in the front or turn the bike into a 1x? Has anyone found they prefer a derailleur or is it pretty universal that an IGH is better. I'll be using the stock derailleur until it dies probably but I can always make plans for the future!