Thread: Lighting Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-30-19, 02:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by lancevo3
Hi everyone, I am seeking for some safety advice for riding in the dark. I spent the summer always getting out on my rides around 6am, now with the days getting shorter the first hour of my ride is pretty much in the dark. I have a two basic Bontrager lights for my bike currently (1 front, 1 rear). One thing I have been noticing the last few weeks is a fair share of people with light on their helmet which seems smart. Does anyone have any suggestions on good helmet lights for front and rear for increased visibility? Also, is there any chance it is too much lighting if I have front/rear on the bicycle and front/rear on my helmet? I figure that would be more of a bonus than anything. Appreciate any advice, thanks!
If you have adequate lights then your helmet lights just need to be "be seen" lights. A 180-degree or greater in the back, and a 180-dregree light in the front. Actually a 360-dregree light on top of the helmet would be great, but I don't know of any. They do not have to be bright. The idea is to be seen above traffic.

I use a small LED FLashlight on the front with an orange plastic pill bottle around it (bottom cut out, just the tube). In the back it's a simple 5-LED blinkie with the outside LEDs pointing to the side (~$15)