View Single Post
Old 10-01-19, 09:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
Aligning the hub's logo WRT the valve hole is certainly a goal many of us try for. Depending on spoke count and cross pattern one can get very close to spot on. The way I do it is to position the rim and hub as they will end up ideally then hold a spoke located at the hole adjacent to the valve and angled as the pattern dictates and as your preference of head in or out requires. Then the closest hub hole is noted. I'll feed into the hub that flange's side of spokes and lace then to the rim, twist the hub to emulate the pattern and check on the logo/valve relationship. If the logo is pretty close I continue with the second side of that flanges spokes. If not I redo the first side's spokes in the corrected holes in the hub.

So it's really just playing around with keeping an eye on how stuff lines up, angles away from the flange and how the rim's holes might be off set. Once you've done a few wheels and paid attention to this stuff things start to make more sense sooner and the process takes less time. Andy