View Single Post
Old 01-31-06, 04:21 PM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Dahon Speed TR vs Swift

Well over the last 3 days, I got to ride a BF, Dahon and Swift. Although, I rode each one for 5 or so minutes on flat city streets, they all felt pretty nice. I quickly got used to the 20" wheels. Because I am looking for 1 bike (right now), I eliminated the BF because it appears designed to fold primarily for travelling and I want one that I might fold several times a day. So, right now it's between the Dahon TR (I test drove the P8) and the Swift. I really like the simple look and color of Swift over the P8 which I assume is similar to the TR. I emailed Dahon to get the specs and pricing (the 2005 is $899) for the TR. The 2006 cat provides detail specs on the P8 but scant ones for the TR.

Of course, I still need to decide whether I go with either the 2 front chain rings (no front derailleur for now) + external 8 speed for 16 speeds or the dual drive internal hub giving 24 speed. If I do decide to go with the 2 chain rings, I would want to go with a high 54 and lower than 39 if that is doable. I'm waiting for someone from Swift to get back to me.

I am leaning towards the Swift. I like the simple style of the frame especially the horizontal top bar. It looks more like a road bike than a BMX. Because of the horizontal 180 degree top bar, the bike can easily be carried with one hand or on your shoulder without folding it.

I want to thank Wavshrdr for the great photos that got my juices flowing.