View Single Post
Old 10-07-19, 05:00 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or by bike], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time...

All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g.
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston).
Originally Posted by miss kenton
... Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
...Jim was an exceptionally gracious host...
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
Originally Posted by miss kenton
There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums. They are not fictionalized personalities, anymore than are the people you meet at work, or church, or through other friends.

I would suggest that the majority here are simply people with common bonds--their age and a love of cycling. Some also share an interest in travel, new experiences, and a desire to meet and enjoy the company of like-minded people.

IMO if you don't at least see the value of that opportunity, you are missing out on an amazing element of this forum.
I have a routine walking tour of Boston, especially for first time visitors:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL [Living Car Free / Living Car Lite] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities. When I take visitors on a 4-5 mile walking tour of downtown Boston, I introduce it with this explanation:

Several years ago, the architectural critic of the Boston Globe, Robert Campbell, was visiting Southfield, Michigan, a town I know well, and described it as the “City of Towers and Cars” (including “busy highways and vast parking lots" [and tall office buildings, and sprawling office and retail parks]).

In his article, he contrasted that that to the “City of Outdoor Rooms” (Boston) which is visited as one would visit a person’s home, passing through the various portals, from room to room, admiring the furnishings within.

That’s the motif I use on my tours as we start in the Back Bay, and pass through the Public Garden, Boston Common, Washington St and Quincy Market, the North End, Beacon Hill and back to Back Bay. The walk becomes the destination.
This Saturday I had the pleasure of taking a first time visitor on a cycling tour of the Olde Towne. In decades here, I had done a much shorter limited ride only once before with a visitor, but then that evening, after the organized ride out in the country we did that day, we did go for a sight-seeing walk and out to dinner that night.

So to record and reminisce about that day, and if anyone else has the opportunity to cycle tour the City:

My visitor and I hit it off immediately as soon as I found him at Long Wharf, at about 9:15 AM. He was nicely attired in cycling clothes, and I knew he would be a strong rider, and indeed throughout the visit we shared many cycling stories. He had written me that it didn’t mind him riding in traffic. He had also made comment noting Boston's Irish heritage.

So we went down Summer Street to D Street and into South Boston down Broadway up to Day Boulevard by the Farragut statue. I realized you could never identify that as an Irish neighborhood, it’s so gentrified. I admitted that we were really off the tourist track, but it was a sample of a more “real” Boston neighborhood.

We then went back to downtown and I pointed out the Seaport District and the face of 21st-century Boston as commented in the description of my walking tour of Boston, that area is the “City of Towers and Cars.”

We meandered downtown for the usual sites, Boston Common, and Washington Street for the historic buildings there, where to his delight, we encountered a boisterous and noisy Chinese celebratory parade, complete with dragons.

Then back to the Rose Kennedy Greenway where there was a Food Truck Festival, and we had lunch. We then walked our bikes through Quincy market as “Ground Zero” for tourism in Boston. Faneuil Hall was barely visible through a nearly totally opaque blue shielding.

Then to the North End, Old North Church, and Copps Burying Ground with a nice view of Charlestown and the USS Constitution. I did explain from my limited knowledge of the history (mostly gained on trolley tours) about the American Revolution.

In the North End, the Italian heritage was quite evident in contrast to South Boston’s Irish roots.

We then passed the Holocaust monument, City Hall and Plaza and up Beacon Street past the Statehouse, where he was amused to watch a political demonstration. I said now we're going to pass from plebian to patrician Boston.
And this is good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod.
Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots,
And the Cabots talk only to God.
We then turned right on Joy Street. We rode Mount Vernon Street past Louisburg Square down Charles Street to the Public Garden. Before entering it, of course I showed him the Cheers Bar.

He enjoys flower gardening, so we did walk a good part of the Public Garden though the floral displays were more muted than in the summertime.

Then I explained the history and grid system of Back Bay and we rode segments of each of the lengthwise streets, Comm Ave, Marlborough, Boylston, etc. In particular he had inquired about the site of the Boston Marathon bombing, so we rode past the Public Library.

Then back on Comm Ave, for fun, I brought him to my bike shop at Mass Ave, Back Bay Bikes, where they expeditiously fixed a minor problem he was having. Then on to Kenmore Square pointing out our building, the Citgo sign, and Fenway Park.

We stopped at our condo for brief time, and then rode Mass Ave, stopping at Memorial Drive for the beautiful view of the Boston skyline, and up to Harvard Square and University.

Originally, not knowing what his cycling expectations were for the day, I had thought about riding up Mass Ave to the Minuteman Bike Path at least to Lexington. But it was already 4:30 PM. So we then went back to Kenmore Square via the Charles River bikepath on the Cambridge side, to pick up my wife, drive to a nice restaurant, and bring him to Hingham where he was staying. He had taken the ferry with his bike to Long wharf that morning.

It was a beautiful day with pleasant temperatures, a clear blue sky, and he took a lot of pictures. I rode first in our single file on the roads, and he would shout out when he wanted to stop for a photo. In Back Bay, I didn’t hear the shout, and after I had made a turn and he didn’t show up for a few minutes he called me. Fortunately I had explained the alphabetical order of the cross streets, so when he told me he was near Berkeley, I said then turn left on Clarendon.

Boston was bustling and festive that Saturday, and I’m sure left him with a pleasant image of the city. In contrast, an unguided subscriber who drove into Boston once posted:
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Ok, so, I'm back from Boston. Good news is, I'm still alive. Man, driving downtown is for sadistic people!! Who designed these roads???? ;-)

Ashamed to say I let SWMBO and my daughter decide on the "attractions" (call it buying peace) so we spent a crazy amount of money on the tourist traps (Science Museum, Aquarium, Harvard, Shopping, etc).:

And parking.... ohhh parking... Now, I get it, they don't want you to drive your car. When we were all museum'd out, we brought the kids to Six Flags New England. Yipppeeeee...

I guess I'll have to go back and do what I want to do in that beautiful area, cause I definitely did not this time around.

If you read this far, and haven't figured it out yet, yes, this was a rant! :-/

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-07-19 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added photo
Likes For Jim from Boston: