View Single Post
Old 10-07-19, 11:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,505 Posts
Yesterday, I went about replacing the crank with the buggered threads. I tried one last time to thread my extractor in, and I GOT IT! As I threaded it in, it gave no indication that it was cross-threaded except that resistance was high. I took that as a good sign, so I continued pushing through the resistance. As long as it was going in, I was happy because the previous times, the extractor kept popping out. I finally got it in deep enough, and the crank came off. Yay.

I put on the VO triple crankset I bought used, but the small ring rubbed against the frame. Darn. Then I noticed that the crankset came with its own BB. Well waddya know. The new spindle is extremely long. I hope my legs don't mind the bigger Q factor. And I hope the front derailleur can reach out far enough!

I didn't have time to try the new front derailleur I plan to put on.

Here is the crank rubbing the frame, before discovering I have a longer BB.

Here is the entrance to my workshop. In the foreground, you see the little house built around the top of our water well. You also see my wife's cement mixer. She's a power tool maven.

As I was working, I heard all kinds of wild creatures in the upper level above me. I think I heard a rodent walking. I know we've had squirrels. I'm also pretty sure I heard a bird flying inside. What kind of bird would take home in a barn? I also saw a mouse come to my entrance. I shouted at him just for fun. I don't like them in the house, but I don't mind them in the barn.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 10-07-19 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For noglider: