Old 10-09-19, 09:19 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
I know this isn't a Canti Vs Disc comparison, but I'd like the chime in with my experience of canti's so far.

I used Shimano XT/SLR canti's on my 1991 1000 LT from Calgary to Vancouver this summer through the Rockies. I used Koolstop Salmon pads front and rear. Total weight including myself and the bike was around 210-220 lb.

These brakes saved my life more than once, even in wet conditions, or while descending 8-11% gradient roads down and through the mountains. The front brakes wore about 30% so far and the rear 15%.

My bike stops better than my friend's new Kona Dew disc brake commuter. I know it's a weird comparison, but I realized I don't need disc brakes when having a good cantilever brakes and pads makes a huge improvement.

With respect to rim wear, some rims wear more than others, but that is to be expected. I like to think that the wear of a rim from braking should last the lifespan of the use of it as well (rim integrity from riding around). If my rims get to a point where the surface is worn from braking, it's probably time to replace the rim as well as the structural integrity could be compromised from years or miles of use.

Likes For BikeWonder: