View Single Post
Old 10-11-19, 10:33 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1555 Post(s)
Liked 1,572 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by NDB
By "off road" I'm definitely not talking about full-on trails . Mainly gravel paths, really badly chipped up roads & sidewalks (daily), and woodland over tree roots and the like. I haven't ridden a real bike (non BSO) without front suspension, so I don't know how comfortable it is (I tried a BSO without front suspension and it was horrible - that bike ride ended within a matter of minutes).

A test ride is probably the easiest way for me to figure out whether I'd benefit from front susp or not
It sounds like big squishy tires would work better for your conditions than front suspension, so definitely test ride. I like my vintage steel mountain bike, with 2.1" tires inflated to 35 psi in the front and 40-45 psi in the back (me and the panniers add up). I can roll over anything I need to roll over (yes, even my tiny 26" wheels), and the tires just soak it up. When it's really chunky, loosen up; I stand with my knees and elbows bent and a very light grip on the handlebars, just to keep it going straight. Your knees and elbows are excellent shock absorbers, taking any leftovers from the wheels. It's actually fun. YMMV, of course.
Likes For Korina: