Old 10-13-19, 09:06 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 989 Posts
@gil_00000 It's a great start, especially with an RB-1 frame. 62cm I presume. Tall bikes FTW. Looks like you've got the quill stem conversion going on this--I very much approve of this! I'd keep the original fork because it matches, is original, and looks great! Velo Orange sells a polished/shiny silver threadless stem that would match your (extremely nice) Dura Ace seatpost. All bikes take a little bit of sorting out, not only in fit but also in color composition (if one is so inclined). When I do quill stem conversions, my stems are almost always black, and I find a matching black seatpost to go with it. I'll match saddle to bar tape as well.

If you have a bike or bikes that you love the fit on, take measurements of various parts/distances and copy them over to the RB-1. Mock up the current stem, the bars, and the hoods how you want them and then compare. That will let you know what to change to get it to that set 'ideal' setup. Stems obviously have reach differences, but so do handlebars (almost no one mentions or discusses this critical component) and brake/shifters.

The SRAM stuff will look sharp on that bike (black on red is always a winner). I roll Shimano or Campy like the other eleventy billion people in the world, but do fancy myself a carbon Red crankset (a generation or few back)--all that to say it looks like you're confident in the groupset and it should look and work well.

Black seatpost and stem in combo with a white saddle and bar tape would look devastating, IMO. But that's just one combo. It's hard to lose.