View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 09:18 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I was going to give you a little ribbing cuz being from the midwest we have to give you Californian's some crap now and then. I live in Wisconsin and it seems like our state is always deemed the butt of every joke in the movies. Or inevitably someone "weird" is from "Wesconsin". Type of a thing.

But you get props for riding a good while in 33 degree weather and especially since you must not be used to temps that cold.

I second the ski gloves. You can't go wrong. To me, for riding, the types of materials that are used for windbreaker material is going to help. Typically, like mechanics gloves or just cotton is just going to let the wind through.

I was a hunter for years until I got lyme disease and the best way I kept my hands warm was to wear mittens with some liners. I would just pull my hand out of my mitten if I needed to shoot. Although really, I kept my hands warm best by moving around. But that doesn't help you as much because that's just walking.

Another source of really warm gloves are ones made for snowmobilers. I don't own one but one winter we rented some and I bought some decent snowmobiling gloves and they were toasty. I lost them though and the best thing I have now if I was going to be out in the really cold is Suede leather mittens with fluffy wool lining. Mittens keep the heat of your hand in much better than gloves. And you can rub your fingers together to get friction and warm them up.

So, to recap, ski gloves, snowmobile gloves and mittens that have a bit of a harder outer shell. Not just cotton. And some lining. Those are the warmest choices, IMHO. I will tell you this. One year I vowed to see if I could make it all winter without wearing any gloves. And somehow I did. I was young though. And that winter I didn't spend a whole lot of times outdoors. I certainly wasn't riding a bike. But getting in your car when it's 20 below, even for a few minutes is freaking cold. But stuffing hand in pockets while your car warms up is pretty easy to do.

Last edited by 3S1M; 10-15-19 at 09:22 AM.