3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Well, that's why I'm posting it, and not burning rubber towards Fresno to buy it. I agree about the parts, I personally would junk most of them in favor of something usable. So to me, this bike is $200, plus at least another $300 in parts just to make it ridable to my standards.
...from reading the ad, I got the impression that it is only the frame and fork that are for sale, not the bike as pictured. I bought a "frame only" six or eight years ago from some kid out in Woodland. From his back story, (I always try to gently work my way into the back story,) I'm about 90% sure that it came up from his uncle in LA, who got it as some partial payment on a drug deal.

It had been stripped of the easy stuff to get off, but because these guys don't usually go to the trouble of removing crank or headset/fork, It had enough of the original stuff on it to make an OK bike.

Here's a photo of the finished product, after some hours and parts were added.

It's interesting to me because a GT steel road frame. which I don't see around that much. If anyone reading this from LA thinks it's your bike, PM me. I hope this won't kick up the everything cheap on CL is stolen memes, because I know this to be untrue. At the same time, there are certain deals you stumble into on CL (usually in places that are kind of obscure and hard to find), where you figure the bike/frame was stolen somewhere along the line, but it was so far back in history that you're puzzled about whether it's better to rescue the frame from the sad situation, or pass on it and avoid touching anything with bad karma associated.

Admittedly I go back and forth on this. I'm kind of a moral relativist.