Old 10-17-19, 07:44 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Clincher wheels have been around for more than a hundred years. Tubulars were /are designed for enhanced speed performance. For every bicycle that is a hundred years old and sports tubulars as standard you will find thousands that have never seen a tub.
I don't think any of us here could dispute what you are saying. It's all in the historic record. So what is your point? No one that I can see — least of all me — is advocating any exclusivity, either for historical reasons or contemporary preference vis a vis any contingency. I contend that if there be any extra effort to run on tubulars, I (among many others) still remain committed to remain using them. Reason: for the fun and games of what was/is part of the whole, not the exclusive character of putting rubber on the the road for C&V machines. Please re-read what I said above.

I think I own over some 20 wheel sets. Approximately half are tubular type, and the other clincher. Currently, 75% of my roadable rides are on tubs. Some other projects in the wings are to be matched with clincher rims. Swings and roundabouts: a lot of factors apply, but most of my wheel stock came to me in terms of price and serendipity. As a fan of C&V, a lot of tub rims just piled up. They were tuned and continue to serve me well — sometimes with a bit more effort than might be with clinchers. Moreover, I just I like them!

As far as I interpret things, this thread was intended to either ward off the OP from adapting to tubulars, or more positively, to reassure him/her that tubulars were not something that should incur worry, fear or reticence. Tubs require just another skill to acquire — if one wishes to practice and do it.