Old 10-17-19, 12:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Indeed, thats what they've been.

But when a businesses entity hits the tipping-point; "evolve" is the key. Otherwise their legacy is just that, one of what is fondly remembered as what once "was" when they are all but gone.
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Would any of us KNOW the difference between a steel frame brazed in Eugene Or., vs one brazed in Taiwan?

One has to be very careful with changes.

Say the company throws them into the same group of Chinese/Taiwanese builders. Would they lose the marketing?

Would a person choose to buy a $2000 Bike Friday or a $600 Dahon Curve, or perhaps even a cheaper no-name import?

My guess is that Sears hit the same issue. They likely had major issues making price competitive tools in the USA. Still, they had loyal customers that would come and buy their Made in the USA tools for a premium price.

Then Sears chose to move their tool business to China. And, suddenly nobody wanted to pay premium prices for Made in China Craftsman tools (long advertised as made in the USA), especially with a number of other equivalent competitors at cheaper prices.

Of course, by the 2000's, the tools had become just a little corner tucked away in most of the stores.

But, I believe that Made in the USA Craftsman was a critical part of their company. Sure, they may have sold more jeans than ratchets, but the ratchets may be what actually brought the customers in the door (or appealed to both husband and wife).

A few years ago I wanted to buy some nice tools for my nephew. I just walked into Sears, then walked out the door empty handed... and about 6 months later the last local Sears store closed (while Bike Friday remained).