terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3576 Post(s)
Liked 3,758 Times in 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You plan your emergencies? An emergency is usually unplanned...otherwise it wouldn’t be an “emergency”.
Are you just arguing to hear yourself type now? Any experience rider intuitively knows when conditions make emergency braking more likely. Approaching blind driveways, descending in the dark, to name just two. Just last week, I was going about 20mph in the dark, when a deer jumped out into the road in front of me. I was already in the drops, because the conditions warranted it (it was dark). Emergency braking saved me from a nasty collision.

All kinds of videos have been posted of pros riding on hoods on downhills, sprints, cyclocross, etc.
I don't recall seeing a video like that in this thread. Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that pros take lots of stupid risks and should not be emulated in daily riding.

So you do ride 100% in the drops, right?
Of course not, you really should not be making that ridiculous assertion. I ride in the drops when I recognize that conditions warrant it, as do most experienced road cyclists.

If if I were sprinting for the town limit sign, I’d probably sprint from the hoods because changing hand positions to the drops takes too much time and I’d lose the sprint.
Thank you for stating that you'd probably lose the sprint on the hoods, with a tacit admission that sprinting in the drops is a superior technique. I take that as progress.

Likes For terrymorse: