View Single Post
Old 10-20-19, 01:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,303 Times in 2,412 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Are you just arguing to hear yourself type now?
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Any experience rider intuitively knows when conditions make emergency braking more likely. Approaching blind driveways, descending in the dark, to name just two. Just last week, I was going about 20mph in the dark, when a deer jumped out into the road in front of me. I was already in the drops, because the conditions warranted it (it was dark). Emergency braking saved me from a nasty collision.
A situation where you have to brake in an emergency is a random event. You can’t “prepare” for it unless you expect it. If you expect it, it’s not an emergency. A deer jumping out in front of bicyclist could happen at any moment and, unless you ride 100% of the time in the drops or perhaps have an early warning deer system, you can’t “prepare” for that event.

I don't recall seeing a video like that in this thread. Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that pros take lots of stupid risks and should not be emulated in daily riding.
You haven’t been paying attention then. Additionally, you’ve been telling us all along to follow the advice of “experts” who are those pros you say take stupid risks. So which is it, pay attention to the “experts” and emulate them or pay no attention to the experts but follow their advice.

Of course not, you really should not be making that ridiculous assertion. I ride in the drops when I recognize that conditions warrant it, as do most experienced road cyclists.
I’m not making an assertion that you haven’t already made. You’ve told us that no one can brake effectively from the hoods which implies that no one should ride on the hoods. Again, you are telling us to do two entirely opposite things.

Thank you for stating that you'd probably lose the sprint on the hoods, with a tacit admission that sprinting in the drops is a superior technique. I take that as progress.
Pay attention. I said that if I moved hand position to the drops, I’d lose a sprint. The loss wouldn’t be because of the technique, it would be because of the time taken to shift hand positions. If nothing else, shifting hand positions would be a signal to an opponent that you are going to sprint.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!