kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Well, Chicago is on a major body of water and has cold winters during which the city undoubtedly uses salt to keep the roads clear. If those wheels were used in late fall, early winter, winter or early spring they were exposed to copious amounts of salt
Good point. As long as I'm ordering spokes, maybe I'll just get them for both wheels.

Originally Posted by davidad
Replace the broken one and order a couple of spares and tape one to a seat stay and carry a spoke wrench. If more spokes break then it is time to replace the rest.
If the failure mode is the same, I would need to pull the rim strip to replace the nipple. Something I'd prefer not to have to do on the side of the road when I'm trying to get a ride in, so I've decided to replace all the spokes.

Originally Posted by davidad
I am not a fan of boutique wheels with low spoke count, but to each his own.
I agree. They seem to be more trouble than they're worth. I already have a lot of high spoke count wheels and thought I would take a chance on these. They were holding up pretty well for a while, then the NDS spokes on the rear started going loose, so I had to fix that, now the broken spoke on the front.