climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3508 Post(s)
Liked 3,652 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Pot. Kettle. Black.
It takes two to argue. As long as you keep throwing softballs, I'll keep knocking them out of the park.

A deer jumping out in front of bicyclist could happen at any moment and, unless you ride 100% of the time in the drops or perhaps have an early warning deer system, you can’t “prepare” for that event.
Further nonsense. You conveniently ignore the probability of an emergency event. This was one of those "higher probability" times:

It was dark (reduced vision distance), it was just after twilight (time when deer are on the move), it was in an area where deer had been sighted (history). The prudent choice was to ride in the drops, with fingers covering the brake levers. That prudence was rewarded.

Additionally, you’ve been telling us all along to follow the advice of “experts” who are those pros you say take stupid risks. So which is it, pay attention to the “experts” and emulate them or pay no attention to the experts but follow their advice.
Again, you conveniently conflate the advice from experts with the stupid risks that pros take while racing. Listen to the experts, don't emulate risky pro racer behavior.

You’ve told us that no one can brake effectively from the hoods which implies that no one should ride on the hoods.
False, I never made that assertion. That's your invention from whole cloth.

Effective braking can be done from the hoods, but more effective braking can be done from the drops.

Pay attention. I said that if I moved hand position to the drops, I’d lose a sprint. The loss wouldn’t be because of the technique, it would be because of the time taken to shift hand positions. If nothing else, shifting hand positions would be a signal to an opponent that you are going to sprint.
Sorry for giving you the benefit of the doubt by inferring that you had knew about sprinting technique. I won't make that mistake twice.