Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by k0guz
Here's another thought.

How soon will Strava appear in a murder mystery or spy thriller as an alibi? "I couldn't have been at the scene of the crime. Look at my Strava ride report!"

It's already sorta happened in real life.

Military and diplomatic personnel have been warned to be careful using fitness trackers because the logs can be misused to identify security vulnerabilities.

Some news reports dumbed down the concerns to claim that the government was worried about fitness trackers revealing "secret" locations or some such nonsense. There aren't many, if any, truly secret bases or installations. Enemies can find out more just Googling around.

But posting fitness activities can reveal habits and patterns that could be used to identify times and places where an installation is vulnerable.

It also reveals installations where discipline is lax. Most military personnel are young and full of beans, piss and vinegar -- men and women. The culture promotes self confidence bordering on arrogance and recklessness (been there, done that). Without consistent training and discipline they're likely to reveal bits of info that should be kept confidential. This is basic military practice dating back over a century, but needs to be reinforced continuously. Back in the day we had training sessions with comic books -- seriously, the military used the comic book format to reinforce teaching with visual aids, since some young military folks don't all read at the same level. It's effective but a little silly. The books included warnings about pogie bait or pogey bait (mostly stuff used by locals in foreign duty stations to entrap and blackmail military personnel), booby traps, complaining or talking too much and too loudly about assignments while drinking with buddies, etc.

Then, as now, most "hacking" isn't actually code breaking. It's social engineering -- psychological manipulations to gain the confidence of marks and extract information.