canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I can't believe that many people use their phones as their bike computers.
You mean instead of something like a generic speedometer, odometer, etc., or full blown computer like a Garmin, Wahoo or similar device?

I use a phone because I already have one, it's inexpensive and does what I need. I start the app, stick the phone in my pocket and don't look at it again until I'm home.

I can't justify the cost of a Garmin or Wahoo (maybe a Bryton) -- those cost more than I spend on an entire bike.

I have simple wireless bike computers but don't even have them mounted on the bikes at the moment. Took 'em off a few months ago while modifying my bikes, never got around to putting them back on. I don't really need to know much info while riding. I just go by feel. My energy level is so erratic that even a power meter wouldn't do me any good. Some days I can crank out 300 watts or more for several minutes on a climb; other days I can barely move my feet in circles.

I do have a mount on one bike for an older iPhone Wahoo device for their heart, cadence and speed sensors, but I use it only on the indoor trainer. The old iPhone 4s battery lasts only about an hour or so mounted on the handlebar with the display on full time. On real rides it's just extra weight and stuff catching the wind like a sail.

Full blown bike computers and power meters, etc., are great for fit folks with consistent health and energy. It's a waste of money for someone like me. One day I'm feeling strong enough to tackle a KOM (which I never get, but have cracked the top ten a few times). Other days I can barely get out of bed and hobble to the bathroom. I don't need Garmin and PowerTap reminding me how wimpy I am.