View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 09:40 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
I get it. You ignored the post I replied to and apparently can't understand that comparing the flat bar on a mountain bike to riding the drops on a gravel bike is nonsensical ("if drops are so important, explain how the guy you were following did it with flat bars?")

A valid comparison is the difference between the flats, the hoods and the drops on the gravel bike. That's why I replied with "it depends" when the other guy posted "It takes a minuscule amount of effort to steer a bicycle. Any extra leverage, even if it existed, would be completely unnecessary.."
I understood both your initial post and your second. Yes there is a difference between flat bars and drops and the fact that both were used in the same conditions simply suggests that one specific hand position is not necessary ie. multiple positions can work. That has been the counter argument some of us have made all through this thread. The video I linked just adds to that stance (he goes to the hoods for greater control).

It's a small point but I think what would have avoided 90% of the back and forth in this thread would be if people used the qualifier "For Me" in front of their position statement.

When you say this: "...it can take a significant amount of effort to steer and the extra leverage from being in the drops is completely necessary."

it's pretty easy to counter. As an absolute statement it's false. It's not completely necessary to be in "the drops" as another rider in the same video is on the flats. Even when limiting it to drop bars the other video linked shows the hoods being used for extra steering and leverage.

However, if you say this: "For me, it can take a significant amount of effort to steer and the extra leverage from being in the drops is completely necessary."

one cannot argue (other to insult ones abilities as a few have attempted). That is a 100% valid statement.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-22-19 at 09:50 AM.