Old 10-23-19, 09:13 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Reviving my thread from last winter. The suggestions of all were duly noted. I rejigged travel plans to allow 3 days riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but as life goes or in this case the weather, it worked out to just one.

But what an amazing one day ride. Rode from Swananowa (East Asheville) to the top of Mt. Mitchell and down the top 4 miles where my wife waited with lunch and a ride back down. 43 miles and 6500 ft of climbing. A bit of a stretch for me given how little I've been riding, but the amazing views and sunshine were motivating.

The other two days, one before and one after Mt. Mitchell were 25 mph winds gusting to 40 mph the day prior and rain all day the following day.

I'm exceedingly happy with the one day.

Again, many thanks to everyone for their input.

Paul
What? You mean you did not get to the tippy top of Mitchell? Doesn't count. Only kidding. I carried my bike up to this point on that small walking path. Tried to ride up to this point but the rangers said no since people were walking on the path. Anyway, I wanted a pick on the very top. This is my old bike. I've made it to the top on my newer bike a few more times. Nothing like making it to the ranger station and the false flat where there is "only" about a mile left to the summit.

My last summit was a few years ago at the end of the Assault on Mt Mitchell. The summit is the end of that ride! 25 miles from Marion to the top and almost 6,000 feet of climbing at the end of a century ride. That was and is it for me. That was enough suffering to last me the rest of my life.

Glad you got to experience it. It is a bucket list type of thing. Trust me, you won't forget it anytime soon. I still remember the pain. Funny on my first summit back in 2013, there were a bunch of Model T's trying to make it up to the ranger station. I got up there and they were all parked and many came over to me and asked me about riding my bike up to that point (still 1 mile to the top). They told me that many of their cars could not handle the grade and they had to park them down at the entrance to the access road. That made an old man feel pretty good that I could do a climb that a car could not albeit a Model T.

For sure though for me, the ride down is worth it. I have passed cars on the way down. That is one amazing descent. In the spring though it can be a bit chilly.

Congrats....now you are ready for the Assault on Mt Mitchell!

Likes For rutan74: