Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Thanks again to everybody who has contributed to this thread. So, I did do Mt. Scott again. I won't bore you with all the statistics but it is pretty steep in spots, pretty long, and has a pretty good little elevation gain. I tend to ride before the sun comes up and so I made it up to the summit in the dark. Probably actually helped me, since I couldn't really see until I got to the top. I caught my wind at the top and enjoyed the city view, but I gotta say, I got a kind of vertigo situation going on and had to turn away. Decided I better just go. Which I did. Coming down, as mentioned by some of you, is way, way scarier for me than going up. Up is cake for me. But down, my heights problem really kicks in when it is steep or there is a dropoff to the side, both of which were the case. So, what I did was, I decided to shrink my universe. I didn't look. I just did not look. I kept my head down and my eyes on the road immediately before me and I rode down the hill. Obviously, I had to look up from time to time to be sure there were no obstacles ahead, but for the most part, I existed in a small piece of real estate right around my bike. And the fear kind of just got much better. Still some there, but it was doable.

So, progress, I think. Gonna keep working on this and see where it goes. And I won't push it. I agree, that would be a very bad idea. Still may need a therapist, which is fine. I already have one for my bipolar thing. Not a big deal. Onward!
Absolutely, you gotta compartmentalize and concentrate. Really, it doesn't matter what you're doing or what's happening, concentrating on the moment is the thing. Not just then, all the time. Any time you're on the bike, there's danger and challenge. Even on the trainer the challenge is there, just not the danger. I can't figure out why people would watch TV on the trainer, when what's happening to your bike and body is much more interesting. One of the reasons I love to ride tandem with my wife is that I can completely focus on the bike, what's around me, and the challenges. She navigates and time-keeps, etc. And pedals her heart out. The Zen of Cycling, I suppose.

All the artists and craftspeople I know say the same thing: the moment you say to yourself, "This is going well." you just screwed something up. You lost concentration for an instant.