Old 10-26-19, 03:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Today's road bikes are wonderful with hydraulic discs and tremendous proprietary technologies that are starting to not be in the capability of the rider to fully break down without professional bike shop help.

We purchase the current bikes and they are fantastic out of the shoot. Many riders don't require anything more. But we are "classic and vintage" in our DNA. We have to de-construct and re-construct our bicycles to be truly at one with it.

We go over each part individually. We clean and lubricate and adjust it. Sometimes it is more by mechanical intuition than reading any manual.

This is where I am disappointed a bit in modern road bike tech for the mechanically inclined. I want to install my own hydraulic braking system. I want to experience the success and the failure of implementing it. I want to memorize what size Allen or Torx bits that are needed. I want to cut the hydraulic hose to length for my size bike frame. I'm willing to wait in order to get it right while doing it myself.

This is apparently not how it is done today when buying the most current super disc bikes that are ready to go. I've got a lot more to say about it but that's it for now...

Oh boy, here we go.

This is actually what spurred my rant in another thread.

Its not my fault, I didn't know that would happen, it broke in the vise, stand, whatever, insert scenario.

Any task at hand should be all encompassing, setup, safety, carefulness, diligence and successful completion including not damaging any tools in the process.

Spotted in the Wild