View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 10:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Thanks. I don't own a smart watch, so I am looking for a computer that does it for me.

Sounds like my options are Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, Garmin Edge 520 Plus or Explore, Lezyne Super Pro or Mega XL, or Bryton 450. This assumes I also want a legit map and not just bread crumb, which I still may not need. All of those are above my target price, unfortunately, but I can be patient and wait for a deal (Cyber Monday isn't too far around the corner).

I do notice with some of them, like the Bolt, they only talk about pulling a route from RideWithGPS. Are there other ways to input a route? I think Lezyne's RootGPS allows you to custom create a route in their own software, are they all like that? Or are some easier than others? I don't intend to pay for RideWithGPS, so I need to ability to create and input a route that doesn't have an additional pay wall.

Edit: Looks like RideWithGPS on the web allows you to create and export for free. It's just the mobile app that has the pay wall.
The Garmin app will let you plan routes ahead of time either on your computer or phone, and (using the phone) send them wirelessly to the device.

Before I got the watch with maps in it, I had one with breadcrumb only. It worked better than you would think. When doing TBT it can tell you the name of the road/trail to turn on because that's embedded in the route. You can add waypoints to the map for context, to see where you are and where you're going: