Old 10-29-19, 05:18 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I may get an aero helmet. Checking all the available wind tunnel data, it appears the largest gains besides rider position on the bike come from a snug fitting kit and aero helmet. Other than aero wheels, it appears most of the aero designs on bike frames offer only marginal gains, which may be important at the pro and serious amateur level but won't help me as much as a stronger engine would.
Nothing helps like a stronger engine, but the helmet, as far as aero, is big, as is the body.

Bear in mind your head position with a teardrop helmet can defeat the advantage, or as Tony Martin said "being aero is about riding in contorted pain."

A nice "in between" helmet is the Giro Air Attack (Shield). Often on sale because of "progress," it's a nice mix of aero helmet design and a face shield that I'm addicted to, with and without glasses. Cool enough in summer (for all but the occasional RAIN oven) and definitely warmer in winter, lacking the venting. It has some, but it's designed to have airflow between the head and helmet, in lieu of being open.

I long ago started ignoring TT's. I may enter one when the Turbo TT bike is done, just to try it, but in my triathlon experience, I've been faster and more successful just riding a well-tuned bike in the drops and staying there, head down, trying to make good, powerful, and consistent circles at the pedal, worry about the time later. (And avoiding run-on sentences.) At the level I tri'd, staying smooth, keeping momentum, and being in the right gear at the right time was more important than aero. Basically the smooth fast dance, just below the real power guys, but ahead of anyone else who couldn't ride "through" the obstacles of gearing, consistency, momentum, and wiggling around on the bike.

The Ironman was for Joe Six-pack, who trained with the bike, raced with the bike, and used his money on wine and women. I've seen literally scores of them at triathlons through the years, both "OEM" and with clip-ons and fast-forward or zero-setback posts. Adapt. Overcome. Enjoy.
Likes For RobbieTunes: