View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 10:18 AM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That is the beauty of the Swift, it will take so many "standard" parts. Most folders have very many unique (to that brand) parts that you can ONLY get a replacement from them. For example Dahon has hubs that are specific and unique to their models and don't fit any other bikes. One owner of a Dahon was faced with trying to find a replacement part for a rear hub that he couldn't find anywhere. It was a minor part and couldn't get it anywhere nor did Dahon have one. To their credit, Dahon sent him an ENTIRE new rear hub to replace the minor little part that broke.

As for the brake question, look at the style of brakes on my bike and you will see how they operate. They are a parallel push design and work quite evenly on the rim. This gives greater swept area and more even wear not to mention excellent power and modulation (control).

From what caotropheus is recommending is to build a bike just like mine for what you want to do. I did a lot of investigation before I finally went with my final design. If it suits your needs I welcome you to copy it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I did like some of the more racier Swifts such as Bruce's and Jame's but they didn't suit my need for touring in a wide range of terrain including some off road. This is such an awesome bike and the bonus (as others have mentioned) is it folds.

Last night I encounted my first weakness (but is true of all small wheeled bike not just the Swift), I was following my soon on his MTB and he went over a big curb. I of course decided to follow him (like an idiot). The curb was a lot higher than it looked so I decided to bunny hop it. Unfortunately I had my rear rack loaded up with groceries. You guessed it by now, I didn't clear it. Actually I "almost" did. My front just about made it but then my pedal struck the curb and knocked me back, front wheel came down but I still had momentum and endo'd over the bars. I quite nicely separated my shoulder and had to ride about 6 miles back home after popping it back in place. It wouldn't have been so bad but my feet were trapped in the power grips so the full weight of me, the bike and my groceries was concentrated in a small area.

Fortunately I didn't scuff up my Brooks saddle of the bike. The saddle is finally starting to break in but none too quickly. To top it off it started snowing on the way home. In spite of being in a lot of pain, the bike was still a pleasure to ride. I hit the curb pretty hard and it did no damage to the bike. I would guess that the bike had at least 250lbs on it at the time of impact. So if I didn't break it then, most people would be HIGHLY unlikely to do it. If I didn't have the groceries I would have easily cleared it. It feels like you are riding a BMX bike at times so I keep having to remember when it is setup in its "touring config" with rack an panniers. This bike just feels so nimble and responsive without being twitchy that I find myself riding it like a sport bike/bmx bike a lot of the time. It is so "tossable" that things that would bight you on other bikes are taken in stride on the Swift. I don't know many 20" folders that I feel comfortable enough to ride no-handed but the Swift is very easy to do it with (I am not recommending do this though). In my winter jacket I sometimes need to adjust things and it is tough to do it with 1 hand. To make these adjustments while riding the Swift is not an issue.

Top this off with Peter's service and it is a great bike. Peter, Walter (@ Bike Friday) and Yan (@ Downtube) are the best people I've had the pleasure to deal with in the folding area. They are all enthusiasts and it shows. Give Peter a call if you are considering a Swift. Tell him you like the John Deere green Swift and you want something like it. He will know exactly what you are looking for.