Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I agree with Clifford:
1) That fork is bizarre,
and with Clifford and Wilfred:
2) That fork is toast. Dangerous. Don't ride with it.

I believe that the design is inherently flawed. You are depending upon the steer-tube for rigidity. And at the base of that tube, at the worst spot imaginable, is a press fit joint. A joint WITH A PLASTIC BUSHING. Now, I like plastics. I'm a chemical engineer and did underrad research on plastics. I worked for DuPont where we made Teflon(R) and Zytel(R) plastics. But 1) that joint shouldn't be there, and 2) if its an interference fit, there shouldn't be any material with a lower modulus between the two parts (the fork and aluminum socket, and the top part of the tube. It makes the joint weaker.

Further, adjusting the preload on the headset bearings induces tension on that joint. The OP (or a previous owner) likely overtorqued the preload bolt which pulled the tube out of the fork head. Even without the other design flaws, this setup should be keyed so that you can't pull the tube out with over-aggressive preload.

Design is bad enough, and dangerous enough so that the OP, I believe, should go back to the mfr and ask for a proper fork. In any case, that fork should be replaced

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-29-19 at 12:33 PM.