Old 10-30-19, 07:55 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by mdcoram
I'm very close to buying a 2019 Trek Checkpoint alloy to use on country gravel roads. I've read some positive reviews but a couple other reviews have been lukewarm on it. Any opinions?
First of all, be cautious with reviews. There's a lot of strong opinions offered and the ones being critical may have never ridden the bike.

The Checkpoint is designed for gravel. Whether it has a 38cm or 40cm tire it is a gravel bike. 38cm to 40cm is very efficient for gravel. It handles well and I find it very responsive and fun to ride. The quality, fit and finish is great. The Isospeed feature works well and my friends that have ridden it also commented on how it smooths things out a bit. I road several gravel bikes before my purchase and I'm still happy with my choice.

Can you ride it on the road or single track... yes. Will a gravel bike be equal to a road bike on the road or a MTB on the trail? Of course not. In the hands of a good rider, the Checkpoint can be fun on the road and on single track.

So what about tire size, the area where the critics seem to talk most about the Checkpoint. There are some gravel bikes that offer a wider tire. I would be very favorable of a 44cm or larger tire on a gravel bike if I was running a lot of single track. with that being said, I do run my Checkpoint on single track and it handles very well. When you get into rocks and such, I would prefer a MTB. The low bottom bracket and larger chain ring on any gravel bike limits its mountain bike capabilities regardless of tire size.

The downsize of a 44cm or larger tire on a gravel bike would be felt if you plan to ride a lot of regular road stuff. A 38cm will roll a lot easier on paved roads than the larger tire.

Unfortunately there is not a do everything bike out there and the Checkpoint is no exception. In choosing a gravel bike with tire size, I suggest you decide what you are going to ride (gravel or gravel/road or gravel/single track).
Likes For CodyDog: