Old 02-01-06, 12:59 PM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stargazer48
I know some of you are using or have recommended a double chain ring of 53/39. With an 8 speed 11-32 freewheel, that will give you a range of 24.4" - 96.4".
Since i'll be sometimes using the folder to do touring with a 30 to 50 lb load, i'll need a wider range (need to save my knees and spin). Pardon my ignorance, but could I easily use a 56/32, which would give a range of 20" - 101.8". Would it effect the folding? Would I need a better rear derailleur? This would almost replicate the Dahon TR range of 19" - 99".

SG
SG- once you get over 20 teeth difference on the front chainrings, shifting starts (or can be) an issue. You ight want to consider one of the Megarange clusters on the rear. I think the biggest gear is 34T but I am not sure it will work (i.e. enough clearance). The rear derailleur would be hanging pretty low. That is why I went with an internal hub rather than a rear derailleur as I wanted more clearance for off-road or trail riding.

SO you might want to consider reducing the gap on the front rings to 20T. That still might give you adequate range. As for the 19" gear inches range on the TR, I rode one up a very steep hill and I never ever got down to 1st gear. I could walk faster I think than spinning that one at 80-90 rpm. At about 20 gear inches this would put you at about 5.5 mph for 90 rpm.