View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 09:59 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Some good stuff above. The only thing I would add is, even if I think I know what it is, I always sit down and review the weather forecast before I go out. It is part of my pre-ride ritual. Prevents surprises. Things can change in a matter of a few hours. So always check the weather. The other thing is ice. You live in Denver and so are an expert in snow by default. But I don't know how much ice you get. We get little snow in most parts of Portland, but we can get quite a bit of ice. The problem with it is that it is not always visible. I went down on a gentle left-hand turn in 2012 after hitting some black ice that was completely hidden from view. It looked like dampness from rain. I was on the pavement, sliding like as hockey puck before I knew what had happened. No serious injuries, fortunately. But I learned my lesson. I often now cancel a ride when the temperature is hovering around freezing and when there is precipitation falling, as that is where we most often see ice accumulate. Just too dangerous.

So, those are my tips. Be aware of the most current weather data. And worry about ice when that is appropriate.
We get that here sometimes too (black ice) and I'm glad you weren't hurt. I'm a bit concerned about that too as it will be my first year to try and ride in the winter. I will have to pay attention to when the ice seems to be worst. We don't get as much rain as you guys obviously. But this year it practically feels like it. It seems like for the last two months it's like every other day or every third day it's raining. Not all day, just parts of the day.