View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
I'm planning on building a bike from the frame up and I have noticed a lot of inexpensive carbon forks on the Bay with names such as Toseek and Hylix that I never heard of that appear to by made in China or Taiwan. I'm assuming here that they are perfectly fine as far as safety is concerned but maybe heavier and less "engineered" compared name-brands like Ritchey and perhaps Cannondale.

Anybody here have any experience with these forks? I'm more concerned with fitting of parts such as disc brake calipers and overall quality but I don't expect perfection at these price points.
That is probably a good assumption but you might want to do a risk vs consequences analysis. Yes the risk of failure is very small but the possible consequences could be life-long. I used your reasoning decades ago and lost. $100 (in 1973, what, $500 now? for a better fork would have saved me thousands of dollars, years and my profession.

I'm sorry if you choose to go ahead and buy that fork, then cannot enjoy it because I've planted this seed. I"m not sorry if this seed means you spend another $100 of hard won money and upgrade.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: