View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 06:23 PM
bianchi4harley

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Bianchi IV, pivot Mach 5.5, specialized enduro SL, specialized SX trail II, Kona jake the snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
I've always used clipless pedals for mountain biking and gravel riding. I'm currently using CrankCandy's on my Gravel bike. I just got a full suspension MTB and will be riding easy to difficult trails.

I noticed a lot of mountain bikers (Salida, Co area) are using platform/flat pedals. This includes a lot of experience riders at the LBS (Subculture Cyclery).

Up to now, I was under the impression that all experienced riders rode with clipless. Now I'm considering trying platforms/flats (Precision Innovations Catalyst).

Who's using platform/flat for mountain biking and why?
I ride mainly with clipless and find that for technical trails in Pacific NW they help keep your feet securely on the pedals on those slippery trails with cross logs and especially going up steep hills.
However, I did switch to flats for a while when riding high skinny stunts and dropping big air jumps and at the bike park at Whis. Just wanted the flexibility of being able to release and throw a leg out when needed. Now I'm not riding the stunts anymore.... just the fast flow trails.... and I'm back to clipless.