View Single Post
Old 11-05-19, 12:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I know Nashbar used to sell its own CF fork ... haven't checked if it still does ... but I am sure they bought their forks from whatever Chinese factory promised to meet their specs, price, and delivery date requirements, and changed manufacturers with each batch, just as the did with all their other products. And Nashbar, being US-based, had much more legal exposure if it dsold generally faulty products.

Hylix and Toseek have been making CF parts for a long time. I cannot speak to their QC, or their general quality ... except for the many seat posts, stems, and handlebars i have bought from them, none of which have failed. Their forks> Who knows?

I assume that CF, being a mature technology, and fork design and production, being pretty basic, is well within the capacity of a lot of small factories. These people aren't trying to do high-tech or super-weight-weenie---they are just producing basic CF bike parts.

On another hand, this site is rife with people still talking about "asplosion" of CF bikes .... even after riding on CF forks for twenty or thirty years, there were a lot of posters claiming CF frames were deadly. Now that CF frames are ubiquitous, they turn on Chinese CF .... but the actual verifiable reports of actual part - or frame failure are few ... and given the size of the industry, one would expect some failures. But still, few and far between.

Does that mean the forks you are considering are safe? No one knows. You could get a bad fork from Any manufacturer. The chances might be greater from some lesser-known Chinese manufacturer .... or you could be buying a fork made in the same factory on the same line by the same workers with the same materials as the more expensive name-brand fork you are considering.

No one can decide for you.