J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
The 410 in the album above was the same way. Managed to get it and all adhesive off in about 10 minutes at a cost of $7 in product. This is what I did, in case it helps:
  • Didn't bother with a heat gun, just put the frame in full sunlight to heat it up
  • Peeled the chainstay sticker off
  • Got some Turtle Wax sticker/adhesive remover for $7 at my auto parts store: https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-.../dp/B004M3F5CO
  • It's non-corrosive. Spray on chainstay where adhesive is. Wait 2 minutes and enjoy the nice orange citrus smell.
  • Take a credit card or other stiff card and scrape across the adhesive while holding at a 15° angle to the surface.
  • Repeat that process until all goo is gone. Took me two treatments. Spray one last time, then buff with a terrycloth.
  • Admire your hard work while cracking a beer. Wax chainstay. Let dry. Buff one last time.
  • Finish beer. Then ride it like you stole it.
That's sort of my method, except that the sunshine up here pales in comparison (literally) to the sunshine in ATL. I use a heat gun, peel the decal, wrap the adhesive with strips of toilet paper, and then squirt with WD40. Crack a beer, and enjoy my evening. In the morning it all comes off, but sometimes the stubborn leftovers need a shot of mineral spirits. I'll then "feed" the paint with a little Fluid Film. Hey man, its got lanolin! Wax with Renaissance Wax after that.
Likes For J.Higgins: