Old 11-09-19, 08:04 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I was hit by a car about 3 years ago. Just a minor accident. Didn't total the bike, but did scratch the wheels and damage the shifters. I also had a good bit of road rash, so the pictures of my body made it look worse than the accident really was.

In any event, I didn't use an attorney as I knew I wasn't really hurt - skin heals. The insurance company gave me full replacement cost on all damaged components, cost for bandages and such for the rash which totaled over $200 (I was shocked at how expensive tegaderm is) and $1k to release them from any further claims. I told them I didn't need the $1k, but they said I had to take that as part of the settlement - consideration for me releasing their liability.

I know folks always say to get an attorney if hit by a car, but based on my experience I don't think that's always the best approach. I think they were so easy to deal with in my situation b/c they knew they did not have to worry about any legal fees on their end or potential litigation. So I say don't use an attorney if you don't have somewhat serious physical injuries.