Old 11-09-19, 12:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by MiRoLa
I'm brand new here so, cannot post photos or links yet, so I'll describe as best I can until after the 10th post.
Welcome!

Originally Posted by MiRoLa
I don't THINK that the main components have been modded that much. There is a guy in my town who also rides his bike to the train station who has nearly the identical rig (his adjustable stem is slightly different). I've not had a chance to ask him if he knows anything about his ride.

23" / 58cm
Black (or dark, dark, gray) with red and gold decals.
Weinmann 519 700c rims
3 x 8 drivetrain (did not count teeth but can if anyone thinks that's determinative)
Shimano SIS Rear Dearailleur
Shimano SIS Crank
SRAM twist shifters
Spring-loaded seatpost.
Adjustable stem.
V-brakes - unmarked except for an "MV33" (maybe Promax from Google searches?)
"Chromoly Main Frame"

I've searched pretty extensively for photos that appear similar but have come up a bust.
Based on your description of the components, your bike is (or at least the components are) almost certainly (from) a 1999 model 720, with the possible exception of color description. 1999 colors were "Explorer Green" with "Silver Decal" or "Graphite Pearl" with "Silver Decal". If it really does look like the frame is an earlier colorway, it's possible that someone took a 1999 bike that might have had frame damage and moved the components to an earlier frame.

1999 model 720 had the Weinmann 519 rims with 8-speed cassette (a Sunrace 11-30). This is notable because no steel-framed MultiTrack earlier than 1999 had an 8-speed cassette. Of course, someone could have installed an 8/9/10-speed freehub body on an older wheel, but the other components match a 1999 model 720 as well. If original, your front derailleur should be a Shimano Tourney TY32 (model number visible on inside of cage plate), and your rear derailleur should be a Shimano Alivio. No model is given in the Trek literature, but it would probably be something like an RD-MC16.

The adjustable stem and suspension seat post are consistent with a 1999 720. Trek's literature describe the handlebar as a "Northroad, 65mm rise", which is consistent with your description of a town bar.

The brakes are Lee Chi MV33. If original, the brake levers should be Lee Chi LG78.

I'm looking forward to pictures, when you can post them!