View Single Post
Old 11-11-19, 12:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked 3,971 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Prednisone/prednisolone isn't a pain reliever, not in the sense of opiates. It's primarily a powerful anti-inflammatory. If inflammation is the primary cause of the pain, then sure, prednisone will help. But not all pain is related to inflammation and prednisone won't help.

It's usually prescribed for problems such as acute respiratory inflammation related to severe allergic reactions, bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy, COPD, etc. A side effect is pain relief from reducing the inflammation.

And few docs will prescribe prednisone just for pain. It's too risky, especially in repeated refills -- few doctors nowadays will prescribe more than a single course, usually an injection followed by a 4 or 5 day oral course. If that doesn't work they usually won't authorize a refill because it's pointless. At my age -- only 62 but with a dysfunctional thyroid and osteopenia -- my docs are very cautious about corticosteroids/glucocorticoids.

And prednisone can provoke 'roid rage in some folks, especially older men. I've seen it many times, as a caregiver for family members and working in hospitals. My mom was among the few women I've known who reacted badly to prednisone -- she'd become very irritable and irrational. Mom already suffered from bipolar disorder and, for her last decade, dementia, so her mood was always precarious.

I already use Fluticasone nasal inhaler, which barely does anything for my chronic sinus pain. The problem is in the sinuses above the nose and it's so congested the inhaler doesn't reach. Next step is waiting for an ENT referral. I've already had full head scans.

Prednisone and local injections of anti-inflammatories helped me only on three occasions: twice for severe respiratory inflammation; once for shoulder pain after it was broken last year. After two rounds of anti-inflammatory injections and oral prednisone in 2018, my docs wouldn't authorize refills due to the increased risk and low efficacy.
My one time on prednisone I developed red spots and itching all over my body. 10 day course and I was about halfway through on the Friday the symptoms started so I gritted my teeth (figuratively) and finished the course but I now declare it as an allergy.

I use fluticasone and azelastine (antihistamine) nasal sprays (~1/4 squirt every 5 days if needed). Thanks to a naturopathic liver cleansing (not fun!), going dairy free and using N-acetyl Cysteine daily, I no longer need the daily full squirt plus per nostril of both of those (I used the better but far more expensive Nasonex for decades before my wallet drove me to generic fluticasone). The changes I've made at the advice of the nurse I've been seeing as my GP has been life changing. I now have sinuses that, while not perfect, I could not have imagined just a couple of years ago. I slept for decades with my mouth open just so I could breath, after taking that big doses of powerfu inhalents every night before bed. Now my passages stay nearly clear with just saline spray.

Yes, going cheese free hurts. Love good cheddar! And I live in the state where quality cheddar is available in every store in every county. Most of those stores have world class good cheddar for $8/pound! Now I try not to look.

Ben