Old 11-11-19, 05:59 PM
Oldbikeride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike price

Originally Posted by canklecat
You might be able to cut back on the lookie loos by providing as much detail as possible, including photos. When I'm browsing CL and other sites I'm less likely to ask the seller for info if he's already covered all the bases with written details and photos. With enough info the only question is whether I can afford it and "need" it.

When the ad doesn't provide much info but the bike interests me, I'm more likely to arrange to see the bike in person. That takes time for everyone.

Pricing is a craft too. As CliffordK noted, an asking price can significantly affect the types of prospective buyers you get and their expectations.

For example, I'm about to get rid of some photo darkroom gear I've been lugging around and storing for years. Some folks would just pitch it onto the curb. Others would ask way too much money. In my experience, asking too little or offering something for free results in mooches who expect full service and support, with calls, emails or texts asking for operating instructions, etc. If I list it as free or too cheaply, I'll get calls from high school students or absolute novices who couldn't afford to buy but will expect me to tutor them on darkroom basics. (And there was a time I'd have been willing to do that, but not at the moment.)

But if the item is priced just right, it's a clean transaction and you don't hear from them again. So even though I don't actually care about the money, I plan to ask a nominal price for the enlargers, etc., just to minimize problems.
I just passed on some knowledge to my grandson two days ago. "It's easier to sell something cheap than to give it away. People are very suspicious when one wants to give away an item". My daughter wanted to give away a portable basketball hoop. I told her the same thing. She sold it for $20.
Likes For Oldbikeride: