View Single Post
Old 02-01-06, 06:16 PM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
SG- once you get over 20 teeth difference on the front chainrings, shifting starts (or can be) an issue. You ight want to consider one of the Megarange clusters on the rear. I think the biggest gear is 34T but I am not sure it will work (i.e. enough clearance). The rear derailleur would be hanging pretty low. That is why I went with an internal hub rather than a rear derailleur as I wanted more clearance for off-road or trail riding.

SO you might want to consider reducing the gap on the front rings to 20T. That still might give you adequate range. As for the 19" gear inches range on the TR, I rode one up a very steep hill and I never ever got down to 1st gear. I could walk faster I think than spinning that one at 80-90 rpm. At about 20 gear inches this would put you at about 5.5 mph for 90 rpm.
I have never toured with a loaded bike before so I don't what gearing I am going to need to tackle hills with an additional 40lbs. Right now, with a 35lb weighted PX10 (I carry a lot of stuff), I easily do 9 to 11 mph on the fairly 1/3 mile steep hill riding 64 gear inches (45/19). Maybe one of the Brooklynites here might know the grade degree on the hill in Propect Park before Grand Plaza exit. Would a 54/35 or 54/36 combo work without problems? If yes, are these chainring sizes be available for the Swift crank? I have also asked Peter if I can get a 9 speed external if the lowest gear was greater than 32? I believe SuperSocks put one on his P8.

I just had a nice thought about reducing my riding load. Although, I am 182lbs, I probably would lose 10 lbs doing full time touring. Last year when I spent 1 month in Thailand for the 1st time, and I lost about 5 lbs. just walking and doing limited biking with a crappy rental. Since the food was sooo cheap, I ate more than I normally would eat at home including lots and lots of great sweet desserts which I rarely have.

Back to folders....
The 1st time I heard about and saw a Thudbuster was on the Dahon Speed TR. Are they worth the $100 they cost? That's a nice feature Dahon includes in their $900 price.

I reread your post and saw that you opted to go with the Al over the steel frame. Wouldn't the steel give you a stiffer more comfortable ride? What is the weight difference?

Can't wait to speak to Peter to get this project off the ground

SG