Old 11-14-19, 04:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
Today while I did a ride from Long Beach to Lancaster doing a Century, I had a couple occasions too close.

First I was on a narrow road and the edge of the road had like this light concrete section that was about a foot wide but was about 3 inches above not on level with the black tarmac. I had a truck startle me when it passed by me less than 3 feet, then I started to turn my head back whenever a vehicle closes in. I saw this Nissan drive a bit aggressively near me and I turned around and tried to get far from it and I steered into the concrete edge and my front wheel started skidding sideways and I almost lost control, there was barely any space so imagine if I had wiped out on the tarmac with traffic.

The second time I am ready to make a left turn and the arrow turns green but I wasn't clipped in so it took a couple of seconds to move and this black pick up truck crosses my path on a red light turn about 7 feet away from me.

Also there were also these times I was on a 55 mph linit road and there were two lanes so I was assertive enough take the lane on my own and 9 out of 10 cars would just move over to the next lane behind me but the 1 out of 10 mostly these mustang/charger drivers didn't even budge and I had to bail out a couple of times. that ride was stressful but I had no choices in roads to take since they were limited there.

I'm not going to take apart your riding, but a couple of things jump out at me as to how I handle similar situations differently. One obvious difference is I use platform pedals as it's simply one less thing to consider when I need to make a quick change. I definitely notice that I get a quicker start on stoplights than people who have to click in.

The uneven pavement situation is really difficult. If I understand your description correctly, you really have no options there other than take a straight line and stick with it or hop off the bike and get off the road. If I'm going to stay on such a road, I am not going to do much of anything to see what's coming from behind me because it's either going to hit me or not no matter what I do, while hitting the uneven pavement is something I need to actively avoid.

I don't care how many lanes there are, I'm never going to try to take a 55 mph lane unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.