View Single Post
Old 11-16-19, 09:21 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Getting an old frame chromed.

15 years ago I bought a Hercules 3 speed off Ebay with the intention of getting it chromed and doing a resto mod build on it, but, the frame had notable pits from rust despite the seller's description. I did build that up into a super awesome restomod townie that I also ride on long rides, it did get a full sandblast and powder coat....

BUT....

I never got that bike chromed due to the rust issues. I now have in my possession a 5 speed (Sturmey Archer S5 hub) 1969 Raleigh Sprite, the paint/finish is ok, but nothing to write home about. So I started daydreaming about getting this frame and fork chromed, but I really don't know anything about it. I was told that if you want a nice shiny chrome finish you need to polish the frame and fork, I'm not scared of that, I have all sorts of tools to accomplish that, anything else to be aware of? I'd like to get the fenders chromed as well, but maybe buying some chrome Hercules fenders would be the easier path?

Yea, chrome on chrome on chrome, gaudy as all get out. Or maybe respraying the fenders black would be a good contrast to chrome?

This will be a full resto mod build, I'm not particularly intent on "period correct" so anything and everything is on the table for this build, but the S5 hub will be part of the build!