Old 11-18-19, 06:51 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 381 Posts
For me it's not so much about racing, appearance, or fads....it's more about performance. And since I'm only familiar with '80s bike technology, that's what I gravitate towards. That's probably true for for most, in that the era you started your cycling journey is what you tend to replicate.
Fortunately for Ironman owners stock components were very good and performance oriented.
The heart and soul of a Ironman/bike is its frame. The steel Ironman was built with three things in mind, performance, comfort, and affordability. And in that order is what's important To ME. I Want a bike whose performance only limits are dictated by my condition. And I Need a bike with geometry that is comfortable for at least 112 miles in the saddle. I Have to have a bike that is inexpensive enough that I can ride it hard and put away wet because I may need to purchase another.
Although I loved Lemond and Hinault who were excellent TT players, they were on a team. My idols were time trialist who had only their individual selves to rely on. No team for encouragement, no team car for flat or mechanical repairs, no massage therapist, no personal assistant. Just like me but way more cardio gifted. Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Scott Tinley, Scott Molina, and Mike Pigg come to mind.
I've been under the weather but I'm feeling better now. Sunny day predicted and hopefully I'll be able to post pics of my bikes today.
Likes For texaspandj: