Thread: 65-85+ Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-20-19, 07:05 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
To get back to my running experience, I started running a lot when I was in my 50s and steadily increased in performance right up to my mid-60s, and in fact several of my PRs were when I was about 65. After that I saw that I would never see another PR, and my goal became just to slow down the decline. It was tough for a while, but after 70 I finally came to accept it and just appreciate what I was still capable of doing.

My cycling has lately also started to feel like that. I went on a multi-day road riding trip this summer over many roads that I had ridden before, but about 10 years ago. I found that even though my bike was far superior to the one that I rode back then, I wasn't doing any better when it came to the difficult hills. But again, I was doing what I could and enjoying it, which is the point of it all, right?
HA! And that brings up the "better, lighter bike syndrome". Which we all know doesn't really help that much...unless you're counting tenths of seconds. But still, who hasn't rationalized that a new bike wouldn't help at least a little. Well at 70...there is a very good chance that NO bike will make you faster. Maybe I should start looking into that EPO stuff? Although my wife keeps pressing me to try Vicks Vapo Rub.