Old 11-29-19, 09:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Helopilot
Hi, your restoration project is inspiring. I own a 1975 Finest, which I bought new and in the process of restoring it. It had some rust here and there and ultimately I decided to have the frame rechromed and once that is done, repainted in it’s original white. Ordered new decals from Velocals online.
I currently cleaning and polishing the components and bits. The small parts have some rust. The quick release levers for the brakes were particularly rusty and much of the chrome has rusted off. Do you know where I might order replacement quick releases for the brakes? The brakes are original Shimano centerpull.
many thanks!
Mike
I don't know where you can get replacement quick releases for the brake but these are centerpulls, right? So you are talking about quick releases that fit into a hanger (either on the headset or the seatpost binder bolt)?

So I would first try evaporust. That works remarkably well with old bits like this.

If that doesn't work, you can either buy new replacement hangers with quick releases or put up a WTB in the C&V for sale forum to see if anyone has something from the right era that you can use.