View Single Post
Old 12-03-19, 09:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
As others note, the question is why bike packing if what works works. The only time bike packing gear ie. seat post, frame, HB bags, really pays off in a practical sense is when the terrain dictates. A rough path, traveled at speed, will either snag, rip or shake traditional gear off. Until you hit that point it's just a matter of choice.

My point being, without sounding too pessimistic, is that if you want to give full on bike packing, as portrayed in modern social media, a try you have to accept you can't take a lot of luxury items along for the ride. It just isn't made for that. If you want the extras, which is fine, you will probably be more happy with a modified set up that uses some bike packing gear and some traditional. I think that's what most posters so far have illustrated.

For example, I have always been a bit jaded towards seat post bags as being sub par. Either they are too small to hold a practical amount, or so large that they extent way back and sway from side to side. They also put a lot of stress on carbon posts and aren't really made for dropper posts. That's just my opinion of course YMMV. I resolved that by using a rack and smaller front panniers on the rear. But I also know that on a really rough trip panniers would probably shake loose or crack mounts or the impact would bust the rack bolts so in that case I would have to consider packing less/lighter to accommodate. In that case I choose a saddle bag as being a little more stable than a seat post bag.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-03-19 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: