Old 12-04-19, 08:42 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Snikerdoodlz
I'm using Schwalbe Marathon road tires. Those tires are already tighter than usual, so the combination was brutal. I used to use Maxxis Gypsies, which were still unreasonable.

People are saying to guide the bead into the central depression. Does it not do that automatically when you pull on it when flipping tire levers?
as per the video, my experience shows that by pushing the tire into the deeper section, and making sure you keep the tire in the middle as you work your way around, you accumulate a tiny bit more slack as you work your way to the end.
By not doing it, when you use the levers, it doesnt automatically do it ALL around the tire.

my take on this technique is that the difference is small, but by gaining those crucial mm's of extra room, plus maybe some wet on the last bit of rim to help go against the sometimes natural "sticking" of the rim and bead, to help it slide over a smidge easier, plus some good strong levers--all these small details make the difference.

but of course, every tire and rim combo is different, and some people have much stronger hands and fingers than others.
the few times I've encountered a real bugger of tire/rim mixes, it has helped using straps because they physically squish the tire in and keep it in place, it doesnt spring back, but usually I can just use my hands and make sure the tire stays in the middle as I work my way around.