View Single Post
Old 12-05-19, 08:51 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 257 Posts
I like hex L-wrenches with a ball end on the long leg and a straight end on the short one; you can use the straight end for higher-torque uses as they are less likely to strip out the drive recess than the ball ends. They are also small and light for carrying on the bike.
Get good ones and understand that they are a wear item and should be replaced when they get rounded off, although the straight ends can be ground back to fresh, sharp corners.
I would also suggest a good cable cutting too; the Park ones are OK but the very best are from FELCO, they are costly (but not insanely so) but your grandchildren will be able to use them. My 40+ year old FELCO cutters are as good as the day I bought them.
Invest in good-quality tools, although I buy Harbor Freight ones when I need to customize them such as by grinding, etc. The HF "click" torque wrenches have worked well for me although some folks have gotten duds they click in both directions (not all do), useful for bottom bracket installation.. I put a bar clamp across the bottom bracket, tool and torque wrench to hold the tool onto the BB, lets me use both hands for the wrench and frame.
Multi-tools suck in my opinion; they are bulky and they have a lot of tools which do a mediocre job Try installing a water bottle cage with one and you will see what I mean.
Many derailleur limit screws work better with JIS screwdrivers than Phillips.
Likes For dsbrantjr: