Old 12-07-19, 10:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The difference I find between bikepacking/off road and traditional touring is the frequency you shift to meet changing elevation. 1x makes that far more simpler. It's linear with out the need to consider when to bump up or down the chainrings which becomes a consideration with wide ratio cassettes. I've found I want the low end but don't really need the top end as much. The terrain usually doesn't facilitate flat out riding in that range. In the same vein, I have added a dropper post - something you rarely if ever need traditionally touring. Off road it's nice. 1x also facilitates placement of the dropper lever on the left.
When I am climbing, I seldom switch back and forth between chainrings. For the most part, my bike becomes a 1x with 2 auxiliary gears. When I’m going downhill, I don’t shift much between the chainrings either. Multigear bicycles don’t have to be complicated.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Of course, the fly in the ointment is what people describe as gravel / touring conditions. Sometimes it's just a road with some pebbles on, other times it's a logging road.
While I partly agree with your statement, I look at off-road touring through a different lens. I may be riding dirt, gravel, rocks and pavement on an off-road tour. I may be going uphill or downhill with in the span of a few miles. The uphills may be unridable even in a 15” gear and the downhills may be 30 mph nightmares. For example, these are all from the same 3 day tour:

Vail bike path

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

30mph downhill on Shrine Pass

The easy part of Hagerman Pass

That’s the old rail bed about 1000 feet and 2 miles away from the top of Hagerman

The 20 mph railroad bed road

and a 40 mph drop down to the Roaring Fork River

There are lots of ups and downs in off-road touring (as there is in road touring) and the 1x systems allow you to either enjoy one or the other but not both. I can range from barely able to stay upright 3 mph to 30 mph on my off-road bike. No 1x system can match that range...even an 10-50 system.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!