Old 12-07-19, 03:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
certainly interesting points guys, and I can see both views.
-I come from a motorcycle background (instinctively knowing what gear you are in by memory) and my brain works very methodically for knowing what gear Im in, so using triples is like breathing, as in I dont even think about it.
-like cycco, I see a triple as the best of all worlds, I also dont change chainrings, Im climbing steep stuff in the granny, most of riding in mid ring, and downhills tailwind in large ring, so chain remains straighter and I really dont change back and forth much up front
-I really do think a straighter chain is a happier chain, for all the reasons we know
-I spread my chainring wear all around, sharing the use of all three chainrings, so probably is good for long term wear
-straighter chain must mean longer chain life
-in all my years riding, Ive practically never had any cable or fd or shifter issues, so the complexity more simple tihng doesnt appear to me as an issue
-weight issue, meh, not sure if its really an issue
BUT
-certainly can see how less stuff weight can be nice
-certainly as I mentioned, percentage jumps are reasonable and perfectly fine to use with more speeds
-am I over exaggerating chain and chainring wear by the increased chain angle that IS going to happen a LOT more with a 1X?? Maybe Im wrong....
-from my small mtb stuff, I can clearly see how a 1x is simpler to use, and how a dropper post lever would be set up fine on left

-still not convinced on cost of parts though
-and still know from riding bikes with closer ratio cassettes, that I would love a higher speed count bike like 11, but using at least a double so I could have both a good low and a good high, AND have some pretty nice closer % jumps. I'm thinking a 11-34 or 36 11 spd must have pretty good jumps compared to my old 9 speed 11-34, and would be nice to ride on simply cuz of the closer jumps.

-I acknowledge though that I havent ridden a 1x 11 speed, but do know from knowing gearing % jumps very well, it would be ok.
Would I be happy paying a lot more for 11 spd chains that dont last as long, or more expensive cassettes? ---I guess as with all things bike, prices go down and longevity probably gets better and better.....

**makes for interesting discussion though--as I always say, all bike stuff is neat, and neat to talk and learn about new technology. I just think it still merits being pragmatic about how stuff really works and how real life costs can be a factor also, and how long in real life does stuff last vs older tech